Sunday, October 14, 2012

Mummy Cookies

So since I'm now addicted to Pinterest, I decided to try out some cookie decorating that I had pinned.

Mummy Cookies!

I know, super cute, right?  And it gave me an excuse to make gingerbread before Christmas!  I love gingerbread a little bit.  Mostly because my Aunt Connie has the best recipe ever!

Here's the post if you want to take a look, there are some super cute Halloween ideas, however most of them are far outside the realm of my decorating ability ... any of you who have been privileged to try my sugar cookies can attest to the fact that I will not be joining "Cake Boss" any time soon with my mad icing skillz.

So, I didn't actually read the post before embarking on this decorating journey.  I just went ahead and made gingerbread instead of Chocolate Mocha cookies like they used.  Then, because I didn't want to traipse around Lethbridge trying to find white vanilla baking chips for the icing, I just made my regular icing that I use for sugar cookies but added a bit more milk so it would be slightly runnier and easier to pipe out.  Also, I didn't want to buy "eyes" so my mummies are blind.

Anyway, so I made the icing and put it into a freezer bag as instructed in the post.  And this is where it all went horribly wrong.  I learned the hard way that when they say "cut a very small tip from one corner of bag" they actually mean "cut a very small tip from one corner of bag."  Not just a "small" tip.  So ... this is what my mummy cookies looked like:
NAILED IT!!!

Notice that I gave up after trying on the first few and just added a smear of icing down the middle to finish off the icing in the bag.  But, not one to give up (and also because Jay informed me he liked them better with the icing on them than just plain), I tried again.  This time I cut a minuscule tip from the corner of the bag and also looked at the picture on Pinterest a few times.  It took me a few tries to get the technique down, but the result was definitely better than the first try:


The last few I did were definitely closer to what I was going for, but they're not as good as the post picture.  Well, at least they taste good!

3 comments:

  1. Lishie, your mommy cookies are awesome even though you did make the poor things blind. Maybe you did this on purpose because if they can't see you then they can't find you and you won't have to worry about finding a large water source to put between you and them. Lol. You did great! Love you, your mummy ����

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ba ha!! I laughed so hard when you "nailed it"! Fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha, ditto to what Tisha said. They look great! And I bet they taste even better - I'd love the recipe!

    ReplyDelete