Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Ranting

First of all, I would like to say that Mother Nature needs to get on some medication or something because these drastic weather changes are starting to get really old.  3 weeks ago we had plus 34 C as a high and this morning we had at least 5 cm of snow/slush on top of icey roads!  And then I heard on the radio this morning that they're forecasting plus 20 C for a high on Saturday.  Honestly!

This brings about my second point I would like to rant about.  I almost hit a pedestrian this morning and it totally wouldn't have been my fault!  I'm driving about 30 km/hr, which is odd for me but was necessary because of the aforementioned road conditions, when a boy aged approximately 16-17 years old pushes the pedestrian crossing button and immediately starts walking across the street!  I would like to point out that my proximity to the intersection was such that even if there had been dry roads I would have had to slam on my breaks and most likely would have left some rubber behind me, but combined with the icky road my Jeep turned into a giant sled.  Now I did exercise the whole break pumping thing and also threw it into neutral (which is apparently supposed to help because then your drivetrain isn't still trying to move forward while you are trying to stop), but I was super lucky that there was no one in the left lane as I had to slide my way into that lane to avoid hitting this Braindead Specimen of Adolescence!  Oh, and while I am yelling at this teenager (which he didn't hear since my windows were rolled up) he keeps giving me dirty looks like "Hello!  The lights are flashing so I can walk.  Why aren't you stopping?"  Needless to say, I was not super impressed, and neither was Jay.  I know that drivers need time to adjust to winter driving conditions, but is it too much to ask for pedestrians to pay attention as well?

So after dropping Jay off at work and making it back into town unscathed I had a pre-natal appointment with my General Practitioner.  I arrived at the clinic at 9:40 am on the nose which is when my appointment was scheduled for.  I checked in and entered the waiting room with all the coughing, sneezing, masses and assumed the "I will be patient" facade.  After 1/2 hour in the waiting room I checked with the receptionist to see if she had any idea how far behind my doctor was running today as she is chronically running late ... even when I'm the first appointment of the day like today!  She said unfortunately not but I was the next person to be taken back for her.  At this point I pulled out the "I'm pregnant" card and played it with no qualms.  "Is there any way I can do my urine sample now?  I will come back out and wait to see the doctor, but I've already been waiting for 1/2 hour and this baby is sitting on my bladder and I'm going to explode soon."  Thankfully she took pity on me, procured the magical cup from the lab for me and all was well with my world again.  (On a side note, apparently this is the only clinic in the universe where they don't take your urine sample as soon as you get there.  3 other people I've talked to said "At my doctor they check you in and have you pee right away so you're not dying in the waiting room.")  Anyways.  So at 1 hour from when my appointment was supposed to be I again approach the receptionists to see if I will ever be seeing my doctor today.  (I mean it's not like I have a job or anything like that.  I just have all day to sit around waiting to see my doctor!)  At this question, 2 receptionists chuckle and give me the knowing smile as they recognize me since I've been there multiple times for pre-natals over the last 7 months.  However, before they can check for me, I am finally called to the back at which point I explain that I have already left my urine sample for them as I have been through this whole process a few times before.  So we move on to taking my weight and blood pressure and then on to the Holy Grail ... the actual doctor's office.  At this point I think I may have entered the Twilight Zone because my doctor was actually in the room when I get there as opposed to me having to wait for an additional 15-20 minutes for her to arrive like usual.  So she checks the height of my uterus and informs me that this is going to be a big baby, and then  checks for the baby's heart beat which is all good.  She then asks if I've heard anything from the OB that she referred me to a week and a half ago, to which I reply "No.  I actually was going to ask you if I should check with them."  But apparently I have nothing to worry about since I've had no problems with my pregnancy and should just continue to wait.  So if I haven't heard anything by Friday I will be contacting said OB's office to make sure they have the referral letter.  Long story short: I waited for about 1 hour and 10 minutes for a 10 minute pre-natal appointment.  I think this is ridiculous and am really glad that this was my last pre-natal with her.  If I don't get into the OB for some reason I have now reached the point where I don't care and plan to go to the hospital when I'm in labour and inquire, "Is there anyone here qualified to deliver a baby?  If so could you please help me?"  And once the baby is born I plan to find a different doctor because as you can probably tell, my current one is driving me crazy!

Sorry about the super long rant, but I feel much better now that I have it out of my system.  And to make it slightly better, here are the newest belly pictures.  These were taken on Sunday, so I'm 29 1/2 weeks although I reached 30 weeks officially today.



1 comment:

  1. LOVE the braindead specimen of adolescence line! Oh you make me giggle.
    And yes, you should totally find a new doctor. That's a ridiculously long time to wait for a 10 minute appointment. And don't put too much stock into how big she's telling you this baby is going to be....mine were all supposed to be huge and we know how that turned out!
    Loves!

    ReplyDelete