Thursday, September 9, 2010

Allergic to Minorities

*Warning: This is yet another rant from Alisha.  It's a long one and it might offend you.*

Some of you may have seen my sister Kelly's facebook status yesterday.  If not, here you go: "Kelly Johnson is thinking that maybe there could be a different solution to nut allergies in school...like maybe the kids with the allergies could all eat together in one room...away from any potential nuts. Then my kid could take one of his favorite lunches to school. Just tired of the majority always having to bend to the minority."

Allow me to explain what has caused my wonderful sister to reach the end of her rope on this issue.  My nephew, Zane, is a picky eater.  This is not a judgement, it is a fact.  He refuses to eat sandwiches so one of the only things Kelly has been able to find that he will take for a lunch is Nutella with crackers.  However, apparently one of the kids in his class has a nut allergy so Zane is not supposed to take anything in his lunches that contains nuts.  (Side note: Kelly is currently trying to find out if Zane can have access to a microwave at lunchtime so that she can send pasta, pizza buns, etc. for him.  But last year the teacher told them that they didn't want the kids to have lunches that need to be heated up every day so if it's the same policy this year it throws a monkey wrench in that plan.)  I have no idea how severe this child's nut allergy is.  I don't know if said child must injest something containing nuts, if touching something containing nuts will set off a reaction or if just breathing the same air as someone who has eaten something containing nuts will kill this child.  (I'm not joking.  Apparently some children have airborne nut allergies.  Wow.)

Now that you have the background information, I would like to add a few more things before I start my rant.  I do not know the child with the allergy.  I don't have anything against children or people with allergies.  I think that whoever is making the decisions for the schools needs to look at it on a case by case basis as to what kind of allergy is being dealt with and how severe it is.  I think all children should get an educatoin.  I believe everyone is entitled to their opinion.  That being said, hold on to your computer chair 'cuz here we go with mine.

Why is it so commonplace for the majority to be forced to yield to what the minority wants?

This is an issue that I struggle with a lot.  I try to be open-minded and see things from other people's perspectives, but come on!  It is getting ridiculous, and this whole nut allergy thing that my sister is dealing with is just an example.  I went to school with a boy who had a peanut allergy.  Apparently if he ate something that contained nuts or had come into contact with something that contained nuts his airway would start to close up.  Scary?  Yes.  Life-threatening?  Yes.  But we never had a classroom-wide or school-wide ban on things containing nuts, and he is still alive and healthy today!  His parents taught him about his allergy and how to avoid having a reaction.  Simple: don't trade lunch stuff with other kids because you don't know what's in it.  I also don't recall that he was ever excluded from any holiday parties we had at school because of his allergies, nor were any of our parents ever told that they had to send treats without nuts because someone had an allergy to those things.

I myself am allergic to penicillin.  Granted, when we discovered this allergy I was a child and all that happened was that I broke out in hives.  For all I know I could have grown out of the allergy, or it could have gotten worse with age and it could possibly be life-threatening now.  Either way, I'm not too eager to test it out.  But, because I know about this allergy, I tell doctors and nurses about it whenever necessary.  I don't expect them to deny everyone penicillin if I'm at a clinic or hospital because I could possibly somehow come into contact with it.

Getting back to the whole allergies in school thing.  There is a bigger picture to consider with this issue.  It's not just "How much inconvenience is being caused to the other parents because of one child's allergy?" (because really, the kids probably don't care about what's in their lunch as long as it's something they like to eat)  We also need to consider what we are teaching our children by bowing to the needs of one over the needs of many.  What is the child with the nut allergy learning by having a school or class-wide ban put on nuts just because of them?  They are not learning responsibility for their own actions.  They are learning that the world should be looking out for them.  News flash: that's not how the world is.  The company I work for is large.  About 300 people work in the same building, and I work closely with people who have allergies to food, some that I know about and probably a lot that I don't.  One person I know is allergic to gluten, among other things.  Another person I work with is allergic to eggs.  We often have pot luck lunches (usually at least 1 every few months), but we don't put bans on what the food can and cannot contain.  The person with the gluten allergy just brings their own lunch and will still participate by eating with everyone.  The person with the egg allergy just makes sure to ask people if there are eggs in their dish and if so doesn't eat them.  So if this is how adults handle things like food allergies, why aren't we teaching our children this life skill?

The whole nut allergy ban thing is not where the problem has started, but it's evidence of a much bigger issue.  It goes hand in hand with the whole "suing a fast food chain because my coffee was hot and I spilled it on myself" fiasco.  As my husband likes to tell me, "Common sense isn't so common."  And he's right!  I bought a cheesecake from the grocery store a few months ago with a "may contain nuts" sticker on it.  This may not seem so bad, but it was a PECAN caramel cheesecake.  Come on people!  Take some responsibility for your own actions and choices!

Where do we stop?  If we start banning nut products, then it's only fair that we ban dairy products for those who are lactose intollerant.  And we should probably ban things containing eggs, strawberries and tomatoes since those are also common allergies.  What about those who have allergies not related to food.  My grandmother is allergic to bee and wasp stings.  If she's stung she has about a 30 minute window to get injected with an epipen or get to a hospital for an injection or she'll die.  What if a child has this same allergy?  Should the school then ban recess or the opening of any windows for fear that a bee or wasp might get into the school and sting the child in question?  What if a child has asthma?  Should the school ban running during recess and gym class so that the child in question doesn't have an asthma attack?  Or let's say a child in your community had xeroderma pigmentosum.  Never heard of it?  It's a rare genetic disorder of DNA repair in where the ability to repair damage caused by ultraviolet (UV) light is deficient.  In extreme cases all exposure to sunlight must be forbidden, no matter how small.  So, if this child was in your community should the school be expected to have classes at night to accomodate the child?

It's up to the parents to educate our children on what is dangerous to keep them safe.  Just as you should teach your child that it's dangerous to run into traffic, if they have an allergy you should teach them about it.  You can't and shouldn't expect everyone else to be responsible for your child's safety.  Each parent needs to teach their child to be responsible for themselves and their actions.

As for those who are making the decisions about banning nuts in the school, perhaps they should be evaluating things on a case by case basis.  Perhaps they should consider alternatives to banning the nut products.  Like Kelly suggested in her status, maybe the kid with the allergies could eat their lunch in a separate room so they don't accidentally get nuts on their food.  If the reaction can occur from touching nuts and not just injesting them, perhaps the children should be taught to wash their hands and desks after eating so the child with the allergies doesn't accidentally come into contact with the nuts.  If it's an airborne nut allergy, maybe the parents should consider homeschooling.  If that's not an option, maybe the child should live in a hamster ball.  I know that sounds very insensitive, but it's also very selfish for the parents of a child with a nut allergy to expect all the other children to not have nut products.

Feel free to leave your comments.  I apologize if I've offended anyone with my opinion, but there need to be limits on how far the majority is expected to bend for the minority, especially when it's the severe minority as in this case.

7 comments:

  1. You know, I just might print this off and submit it to the school office...or at least take notes with me! Thanks for backing me up sis! As for the microwave situation....his classroom doesn't have one and I got a note today saying that it's very difficult to warm things up...so maybe he could bring thermos lunches or participate in the hot lunch program? Thanks oh-so-helpful-teacher. (heavy sarcasm here) I'm going to send a note back suggesting a compromise of allowing him to bring pizza buns twice a week that require 30 seconds of microwave time so that I only have to come up with 3 thermos lunches a week...because I'm not spending $5+ a day on gross lunches that he won't eat anyways. Help...I'm turning into one of "those" parents!

    ReplyDelete
  2. More people need to be "those" parents! It still irks me that the school is inconveniencing the other 20 or so kids because of 1! There has got to be a different solution. I mean, by the time your kid is 7 turning 8 they should understand "Don't eat anything from other kids or you could die." Watch out, I'm going to start ranting again!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are misinformed about allergies, empathy and understanding. Please consider that each child is important, each with something to offer, and not the "majority" or "minority". Children with any "difference" don't choose this, but you can choose to be indifferent to them. Please make better choices.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree: it sucks for everyone. It sucks for the teachers who need to "police" lunch and read microscopic ingredient labels. It sucks for administrators who have seemingly opposing "needs" of children. It sucks for classmates of nut allergic kids who, like your nephew, can't eat their food of choice. It sucks for all the parents who are inconvenienced to find an alternative that is acceptable for their child. And, of course, it sucks for the allergic child who frequently gets excluded from food events or, sometimes worse, is in a persistent state of anxiety because their allergen is present. In short, it just sucks. Everyone deserves to vent.

    As one of "those" moms who has a child with severe peanut allergy, I'd like to suggest that your sister simply ask the building administrator if arrangements can be made for her son to eat his food of choice. This certainly can be worked out.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This isn't a matter of the "needs" of the majority vs. the "needs" of a minority. It's about the need of an allergic child to remain safe taking priority over the DESIRES of a picky eater. That said, I don't see any reason why both eaters cannot be accommodated.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ya know I actually had a talk with my hubby about this stuff just yesterday. Our daughter is allergic to Cow's Milk...including yogurt. Her first day of her 2nd year of preschool was yesterday. I noticed that in her first class newsletter that this year the preschool is not allowing parents to bring baked goods due to the number of children with allergies. Honestly I am happy for that. Last year they didn't have that and on more than one occasion my daughter was given baked goods brought by a parent that had milk in them because the teachers didn't think to ask the parent for the ingredients list and my daughter hadn't fully gotten into the habit of asking first before getting a treat.

    I totally agree with you Alisha, parents really don't teach their kids to take responsibility for themselves, some do, but overall it is really lacking.

    My daughter knows exactly what happens if she has cow’s milk, she has been dealing with it since birth. We are working on her asking if treats have cow’s milk in them. She does great at it now, but that has only been the last 6 months where she really started doing it for herself. Now my concerns are when another person doesn't know she is allergic to cow's milk and so they don't understand why she is asking if there is milk in something. And so many parents don't ask about allergies when they invite children to their child's birthday party. She will have a medic alert bracelet someday, but for now we are waiting until after she goes to the Allergist so we can make sure all her allergies go on it, as they aren't cheap.

    I kinda get the basis of why schools are so strict with these things. It is mainly a liability issue, they are liable if a child dies or is injured at school from a known allergy that they failed to protect the child from...does it make sense...not entirely. I get it, some kids are picky eaters and it SUCKS. I am lucky and my kids aren’t very picky eaters.

    I agree with talking to someone above the teacher about it. And maybe even printing this post off to give to the principal or school administrator. I know I plan on doing that when my daughter goes to school. I want other children to be aware, but it shouldn't stop them from bringing their fav foods for lunch. And also for parents to simply be aware that if they bring something for the whole class that the whole class can eat it, including those with allergies.

    Great post Alisha!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. its cristy...i agree with you 1000%.
    you have very valid points, and it is a great rant!
    im standing behind you

    ReplyDelete