Thursday, February 3, 2011

Being a Mom

*Warning: there is nothing funny in this post.  So if that's what you're looking for you are sadly mistaken.  This one is all sappy and mushy.  That is all.*

My Mom gave me a calendar with 365 quotes about being a Mom for Christmas 2009 (when I'd only been a Mom for 3 weeks).  I love it.  I'm sure it's one of those gifts that she picked up and wondered, "Will Alisha like this?  I'm not sure ..."  But rest assured, Mom, I really do love it.  Most days it gives me a little extra "umph" in the morning or reminds me about what's really important when I'm stressed out.  I remember today's quote from when I saw it last year and thoght that I'd share it with everyone.  And then I thought that maybe I'll keep doing it.  So be prepared, if there's a quote I really like, I might just throw it on here.  Even if you're not a Mom yourself, they might remind you of your own Mom, or another important woman in your life, or maybe even yourself!

So here's today's quote:
"A mother is a person who seeing there are only four pieces of pie for five people, promptly announces she never did care for pie." - Tenneva Jordan

I don't know why I like this one so much, but it just strikes a chord with me :)

And I thought I'd take a look back through January's quotes and put some of those up as well. (maybe they'll provide some inspiration for a Mother's Day gift or card?)

"A mother is the truest friend we have." - Washington Irving

"Mother is the name for God in the lips and hearts of little children." - William M. Thackeray

"Motherhood: All love begins and ends there." - Robert Browning (LOVE this one!)

"Some are kissing mothers and some are scolding mothers, but it is love just the same." - Pearl S. Buck

"There is in all this world no fount of deep, strong, deathless love, save that within a mother's heart." - Felicia Hemans

"No language can express the power and beauty and heroism of a mother's love." - Edwin H. Chapin

"A mother is the one who is still there when everyone else has deserted you." - Author Unknown

"There's only one pretty child in the world, and every mother has it." - Chinese Proverb

"There is in every true woman's heart a spark of heavenly fire, which lies dormant in the broad daylight of prosperity, but which kindles up and beams and blazes in the dark hour of adversity." - Washington Irving

"No gift to your mother can ever equal her gift to you - life." - Author Unknown

"You will find as you look back upon your life that the moments when you ahve truly lived are the moments when you have done things in the spirit of love." - Henry Drummond

Hope you liked at least one of these!

4 comments:

  1. Thanks for that post Lisha!! Really needed that after this week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love todays quote.

    I call it the Family Totem Pole....and Moms are always on the bottom!

    Sometimes us Moms need to chose our battles, and as much as I LOVE pie, I am willing to be on the bottom, but sometimes we need to be selfish and put ourselves back at the top.

    With the week you've had, don't be afraid to put yourself on top this weekend!
    Its OK to take your Mom Cape off, and be
    Alisha Christensen - Woman!(hear her roar)

    ReplyDelete