Monday, September 19, 2011

Chicken & Broccoli Braid

This is what we had for supper tonight:  (it tasted pretty much as good as it looks.  For anyone who has tried my Apple Danish Bread, this is the same thing just with different filling.)


And a bunch of people wanted the recipe after I posted the pictures on Facebook.  So, without further ado, here it is:

2 cups cooked cut-up chicken (about 3-4 chicken breasts)
1 cup broccoli, chopped
1/2 cup red bell pepper, chopped
1 garlic clove, pressed (I use about 2 tsp of minced garlic)
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
1/4 cup honey ham sliced into small pieces (I just bought honey ham sandwich meat at Sobeys and had them slice it a little thicker than normal)
1/2 cup mayonnaise (Miracle Whip is just fine)
2 packages refrigerated crescent rolls

1 egg white, lightly beaten
2 tbsp slivered almonds
(I don't do the last 2 ingredients in mine, but you could I suppose (this is mostly because I'm too lazy to brush the egg over the dough and because I don't ever use slivered almonds for anything else so I think it's sort of a waste of money since it tastes just fine without.  phew that was long-winded))

1 tsp dried dill weed
1/4 tsp salt
(I use about 2-3 tsp Clubhouse Lemon & Herb seasoning instead of dill & salt, once again because I'm sort of lazy and that's what I had in my cupboard.  I might mix it up and use the Greek seasoning I have next time.  I know, I'm wild and crazy in the kitchen.)

Preheat oven to 375F.  Cut up chicken, chop broccoli and add to a large mixing bowl.  Chop red pepper and add to bowl.  Press garlic over mixture in the bowl (or spoon it in if you're like me).  Shred cheese and add to bowl.  Cut up ham and add to bowl.  Mix gently.  Add mayonnaise, dill weed and salt (or Clubhouse seasoning); mix well.  Unroll 1 package of crescent dough; do NOT separate.  Arrange longest sides of dough accross the width of 12" X 15" rectangle Baking Stone (or cookie sheet).  Repeat with remaining package of dough.  Roll dough to seal perforations (I did not pull out my rolling pin for this.  I just "pinch" the dough with my fingers along the perforations.  I must say though that Pillsbury seems to have improved their perforations 'cuz this took a lot more effort than normal).  On longest sides of baking stong, cut dough into strips 1 1/2 inches apart and 3 inches deep.  Spread filling evenly over middle of dough.  To braid, lift strips of dough across mixture to meet in center, twisting each strip one turn to form a braid.  Tuck ends under to seal at ends of braid.  Brush egg white over dough using a pastry brush.  Sprinkle with almonds.  Bake 30 minutes or until deep golden brown (I usually cook mine about 10 minutes longer just to make sure the dough's 100% done.  I cannot stand undercooked dough so that's just my paranoid self coming through).  Cut and serve!!!

If that doesn't sound like enough calories sauce for you, try it with this deliciousness that I usually make with my Chicken Rolls:

Cheese Sauce

1 can Cream of Cheese & Broccoli soup
1/2 can Evaporated Milk
1-2 cups shredded Cheddar Cheese

Combine the soup and milk in a sauce pan and bring to a low boil.  Make sure you stir this A LOT because it will scorch to the bottom of your pan (not that I've had that happen before ...).  Add the cheese bit by bit while stirring until desired consistency/cheesiness (this is easier if you have a helper either adding or stirring while you perform the other task).  Enjoy!!!

And once again I'd like to say that if I can make this, anyone can : )

3 comments:

  1. Omg.sounds sooooo delish!
    But you lost me at the cresent rolls step...im kind of a visual person, maybe next time you make it I will pop in for an in-person demo :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am kind of mental on the braiding part as well- I need diagrams, man!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks delicious!!!! Can you mail me some???

    ReplyDelete