Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Ode to the Old Guy in the Pickup

I just got home from walking the dogs and can barely believe what just happened.  I just had a near death experience!  Some old guy (probably around 60-ish from the glance I got) in a pickup almost ran over me, my dogs and my baby!  We were walking past his driveway when he put it in reverse and started backing up.  I'm assuming that he didn't look behind him because he just kept coming until I started yelling, "Hey!  Hey!" and flailing my arms as I ran out of the way.  I understand that he probably wouldn't have been able to see the dogs or possibly the stroller due to the box of the truck being in the way if he HAD bothered to look behind him first.  However, I'm not the smallest person in the world so he should have been able to see me.  When he finally stopped and we were out of harm's way, I threw my hands up at him like, "What is wrong with you?" and gave him a very scathing look from behind my sunglasses before continuing on my way.  I hope that ruins the rest of his day!

The moral of the story is:  I don't care how old you are, how long you've been driving, how big your vehicle is or how much of a hurry you're in; ALWAYS check behind and to the sides of your vehicle before you back up.  I just might be walking past.

1 comment:

  1. I'm sure that your scathing look ruined his day! And I'm pretty sure he'll be checking behind him from now on! Glad you and crew are OK! Loves!

    ReplyDelete