Wednesday, October 20, 2010

Parenting Tip for my Darling Husband

I love my husband, I really do.  But sometimes he drives me to the brink of madness.  I have developed a lot of patience over the course of the last almost 8 1/2 years, (no Kinsey, this does not make me a "push over" it just means that I pick my fights so we are not constantly fighting like we did the first 2 years we were together) and I put it to good use yesterday. 

I decided to try out my Aunt Connie's gingerbread recipe this year (yes another baking story.  Sorry this one is not going to be nearly as entertaining as "The Sugar Cookie Fiasco") and yesterday was the day to actually make the cookies since I'd put the dough together the previous day and refrigerated it overnight as required.  I was having a pretty stellar day since the morning was spent visiting Cristy and Mark and their new baby boy Carter at the hospital.  After getting Paxton down for a nap and catching up on Facebook, (we've been over this.  Don't judge me.  I actually dropped one of the Zynga games last week, so that's progress, right?) and getting Paxton up from his nap, I got a phone call from Jay.  Usually when he phones me after work it's to inquire about any plans I/we have for the afternoon and that's exactly why he was phoning.  This is how the conversation went:

Jay: "Do you need to do anything this afternoon?  'Cuz I'm at Dan's house for a bit." (we are a single vehicle family currently, so it causes issues when I have errands to run and Jay doesn't come home after work because I neglected to tell him about said errands ... after about 8 months of Mat Leave we finally figured out some sort of system so that I'm not "picking my fights" as much.)

Me: "I don't need to go anywhere, but I'm going to make the gingerbread today, remember?" (as I said before, I made the dough up the day before so he knew I was going to bake the cookies)

Jay: "Oh.  So you just need me to come home to babysit?"

This is where the aforementioned "brink of madness" comes in to play.  It's not babysitting if it's your own kid(s)!!!  I'm in charge of Paxton like 99% of the time, and it's not babysitting!  It's called being a parent!  However, I chose to be the bigger person in this case and did not start a fight about it.  Woo-sa.

4 comments:

  1. You have hit upon on my BIGGEST pet peeves. I don't get the father babysitting thing! I am proud of you picking your battle! lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL! I think they're born thinking that. Whenever I go out for a girl's night Zane always asks who is going to babysit! To which I reply, "no one - you're staying home with dad. He's just as capable as a parent as I am". And then he lets them stay up late and watch movies I don't them watch but I pretend that i don't know 'cause every mom needs a break. Like you said - pick your battles! :)

    ReplyDelete