Thursday, October 14, 2010

Thankful

I know this is a little late since Canadian Thanksgiving has already passed, but that's the beauty of working for a company where I observe the American holidays ... I'm still a month and a half early for American Thanksgiving!  But seriously, I wanted to share some of the things I'm thankful for (since I'm due for a good cry-fest), so here they are in no particular order.

I am thankful for my husband.  Jay does drive me to the brink of madness on occasion, but he really is my best friend.  We have been together for over 8 years now (wow, it seems like forever!) and married for over 2.  We've laughed, we've cried, we've fought, but through it all we've grown together and I'd do it all over again.  I know Kelly says she's got the best husband out there but I think mine is just perfect for me.  He knows how to handle my freak outs (which happen more frequently than I'd like to admit), puts up with my craziness (like all the baking and crafting I'm trying to get done for Christmas before I go back to work in 4 1/2 weeks (EEK!), and loves me even though I'm definitely not "model material" (he told me once that he'd love me even if I was as big as a house, not that he hopes that is my goal.  it was really sweet when he said it.).  Jay is also a great Dad to Paxton.  I love watching them play together and it melts my heart every time.

I am thankful for my son.  I waited a long time for Paxton to join our family and he is definitely worth the wait!  Paxton has been such a good baby and I'm really and truly thankful for that!  Even when he's being grumpy or cranky he's still much happier than what I hear from my friends about their babies.  I know I don't always show how much I love him (like when he's crying for an hour and a half at 4 am) but I really wouldn't trade him for anything and I love being his Mom.  I am so thankful that we are able to enjoy our little Monkey Man and get to watch him learn new things and develop his personality more every day.

I am thankful for my dogs.  Maggie and Mo drive me crazy on a daily basis but I love them.  They're always happy to see me and greet me with a wagging tail or bum.  They are always willing to cuddle with me and wash my face for me whether I need it or not.  I am so glad that they are both great with Paxton as well.  They are very patient and don't snap or bite at him although they have let out a few growls when they've had enough of being smacked in the face with one of his toys.  I am also thankful that they are so great at cleaning up after Paxton's meals.  They also provide pretty much the only exercise I get these days by guilting me into taking them for walks.

I am thankful for our families.  Jay and I are so blessed to have most of our family in Southern Alberta.  They do so much for us and we are lucky to be able to see them so often.

I am thankful that Jay and I both have jobs.  I'm not looking forward to the end of my Mat Leave, but I am glad that I have a job to go back to.  I'm also glad that it does pay fairly well and that Jay and I are able to have a house, food, a vehicle and some luxeries for our family.

I am thankful for my dishwasher.  After growing up without one I really appreciate this modern convenience.

I am thankful for clean, running water.  We spent some time at my parents' house in Raymond around July 1st and they had a boil water order while we were there.  I am so glad that we don't have to boil water to do dishes, for drinking, etc on a daily basis!

I am thankful for vehicles.  I can't imagine travelling by horse to visit Kelly and her family ... granted they probably wouldn't have moved away if that was the only mode of transportation ...

I am thankful for phones and the internet so that I can keep in touch with my family and friends.

I am thankful that I live in Canada where we have freedom, and where we often take our standard of living for granted.

I am thankful for our healthcare system.  I love that I don't have to worry about paying to see the doctor if we are sick or hurt.

I am thankful for Maternity Leave.  I treasure the fact that I've been able to stay home with Paxton for his first year and being able to see him change and grow each day.  I work with a lot of people in the United States and they only get 6 weeks for Maternity Leave.  I can't imagine leaving my newborn with someone while I went back to work!  It's bad enough thinking that I'll be leaving my 11 1/2 month old!

I am thankful for great friends who are there for me no matter what.

I am thankful that my family is healthy and happy.

I am thankful for digital cameras even though this means I have a ridiculous amount of pictures of Paxton just sitting in his high chair.  And here are some of the latest pictures from my digital camera. 


Playing piano with Auntie Kizzy 
Playing with Connor Shurtz at cousin Paige's wedding shower
Eating a bow ... perhaps foreshadowing of what is to come for his birthday and Christmas? 
"Helping" get the milk out of the fridge.  This is the latest place Paxton likes to get into that Mom and Dad don't want him in.  I guess I should be thankful he hasn't tried to climb into the oven yet! 
Not sure what he was doing by the toilet, but pretty funny that he got toilet paper stuck to his foot! 
All ready for Paige and Eric's family dinner 
Beautiful Paige and Handsome Eric 
Chillin' with Grandpa Chicken before Thanksgiving dinner at their house 
Grandpa Dooley sleeping after Thanksgiving dinner at their house.  Yes that is a broom he's holding.  Apparently he was "protecting" Paxton and that's why he was holding it.  Riiiiiight. 
Brock and Paxton cuddling with Grandpa.  There's not so much of a size difference now that 10 months have passed! 
Crazy "just woke up" hair

2 comments:

  1. very cute post! Lots to be thankful for:) FYI- Beware of the day he does learn to climb in the stove..not so fun:T Oh, and Paxton is a doll, just in case I haven't said it lately;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post sis! And I stole some pictures!

    ReplyDelete