Tuesday, November 30, 2010

I made it

through my first 2 weeks back to work.  It went a lot better than I thought it was going to.  I didn't cry when I dropped Paxton off at day home the first day (well, I did have tears well up, but they didn't spill over so I don't think that counts as crying) and he's been really good when I drop him off in the mornings.  It actually made me a bit sad the first few days since he'd reach for the day home lady as soon as he saw her.  I was thinking, "Hey, can't you even be a little bit sad to see me go just to make me feel better?"  But I suppose I'd rather have him be happy when I leave him rather than crying since that would be harder on both of us.  I think the transition was easier because I dropped him off there for a few hours a day the week before I returned to work.  This way he was already accustomed to the kids there, to the day home lady and all the toys, so I think Paxton looks forward to going there every day.

Work itself wasn't nearly as bad as I thought it was going to be.  I spent pretty much my whole first day going through the 1874 emails in my Inbox (ya, apparently my "Out of Office" notification wasn't really working while I was out, and a lot of them were mass emails that get sent out to the whole service center).  When I'd finally whittled the emails down to 78 that I wanted to keep to go through further, I discovered a different folder that had somehow regurgitated every email I've ever received since starting at Sun Life ... and I started there in November of 2006.  So you can imagine how many more emails I had to delete.  The second day was full of training modules for the new operating system we have and then I actually got a case (yay! some actual work to do) for the old system.  It was super frustrating at first because I was soooo slow at remembering how to get the information I needed, but after a few cases it's all coming back to me and I'm back on track.

I guess I was all stressed out about nothing ... story of my life.  I tend to get all worked up about something, and then it turns out to not be nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  We all (Jay, Paxton, the dogs and I) seem to be adjusting rather well to this new schedule in our lives.  Huh.  Who'd a thunk, eh?

No comments:

Post a Comment