Friday, November 26, 2010

Willpower

This is a candy bowl that belonged to Jay's Mom (or perhaps his Grandma ... either way it's one of his maternal heirlooms).  It's a treasured Chistmas decoration (note the Christmas tree on the side of it ...) and it has it's place of honour in our home each year.  However .... it is also one of the many bane's of my existence.

The first Christmas that we lived together, Jay pulled this candy bowl out of a random box that was excavated from the depths of our crawl-space.  "Fine, whatever, we'll put some of your stuff out too," is what I thought (because clearly MY decorations were far more superior to anything that Jay had lurking around from his childhood ... and CLEARLY my family is FAR more intersted in Chirstmas!  So it would follow that my decorations would be better.  Duh!).  But then he informed me that this candy dish was sooooo special and it was ALWAYS filled with the "holiday" peanut M&Ms every year (and they never ran out apparently).  This fact is also somehow interwoven with the fabric of space and time ... so if I don't keep it filled up with the holiday peanut M&Ms for the Christmas season every year, the universe is most likely going to implode and we'll all die (You're welcome!).

So the bowl has yet again made it's appearance for this festive season.  It is sitting on my kitchen island staring me down now that it has been filled with it's requisite chocolatey-peanutey- goodness.  I am attempting to resist it's siren's song (mostly because it takes 2 bags to fill the stupid thing and I'm fairly certain that eating it's entire contents in one sitting is not going to help me lose any remaining baby weight).  *sigh*  I guess we'll just have to wait and see how many times I have to refill it before Christmas actually gets here (only 28 more days as of this post!).  Any takers for a bet?

* about 2 weeks after I originally posted this, Jay broke the lid.  So I have decided that I am no longer obligated to fill the jar with M&Ms since it's defective.  I'll probably just end up buying a different one to take it's place ...

4 comments:

  1. too bad you're not like me....I don't like M&M peanuts. Maybe you could find another place of honor that isn't quite so in-your-face? Loves!

    ReplyDelete
  2. $5 bucks says you fill it at least 3 times....courtesy of me coming over there this saturday and helping myself to a hefty serving :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. sounds like a plan, Cristy! I actually already had to refill it once yesterday ... I apparently have no willpower :(

    ReplyDelete