Tuesday, November 30, 2010

Soundtrack of My Life

We all know someone that's a "hopeless" romantic, right?  That person who believes in true love no matter what.  Well, I wouldn't say I'm hopeless but I'm definitely a "hopeful" romantic.  I'm pretty sure that I have an oversized romantical bone somewhere in my body.  This is good, though, since I'm pretty sure that Jay's is at least 2 sizes too small. *sigh*  He can be romantic when he puts his mind to it (like suggesting we get married on our anniversary, sending me flowers at work occasionally, stuff like that) but those times are few and far between.  Case in point: while down on one knee and about to pop the question, Jay looks at me and inquires, "You ready for this?"  I know.  I'm married to Captain Romance.

Anyways. There have been random romantic happenings in my life since then; maybe not as many as I'd like, but I get by (I may read a lot of romance novels and watch a lot of chick flics to satisfy my cravings, but that's neither here nor there).  The point of this post is not how romantic or unromantic my husband is, it's about how I am ridiculously romantic.

My job requires me to stare at my computer screen for endless hours a day which leaves a lot of extra space in my brain for daydreaming.  I also get to listen to my iPod all day (which is good because I'd probably go crazy otherwise!).  And while I'm listening to music and daydreaming, I sort of have this "movie soundtrack" thing that happens.  I think to myself, "Wow, this would be a great song for ... (fill in some sort of activity)."  Here's an example: today I was listening to "Song For A Winter's Night" by Sarah McLachlan (not a traditional Christmas song, but lovely nonetheless), and I was like "This would be such a great song to have playing in the background if Jay and I were all cuddled up in front of the fireplace some night."  (Also a good song for this scenario, "Christmas Day" by Dido.)

This is where the romance part comes in.  I know that this will not happen because Jay and I rarely cuddle in front of the fireplace together, and we never just sit there with music playing in the background when we do.  There's always a movie or tv show in the background instead.  Someday maybe he'll get more romantic and I will be able to put my soundtrack skills to use ... 

Does anyone else do this?  Or is it just me?  Maybe I need to change careers and become a person who finds music for movies and tv shows?

2 comments:

  1. Yup...i 'soundtrack' too! oh, and If my hubby makes any type of romantic gesture - I immediately asks what he did. Word of advice - when you do that, those lil moments happen even less. lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. umm, can't say I try to pair music to moments but I rarely get to listen to mom music unless I'm running at the gym and then I'm sooo not into orchestrating great romantic moments in my life in my head! But you know I do lots of other weird stuff so don't worry....I still think you're normal!

    ReplyDelete