Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Rainbow Bridge

Today I am sad.  My Aunt Carol and Uncle Stew said good-bye to their Boxer baby, Chief, this morning.  Although Chief was not my own dog, I did spend a lot of time with him during my high school years as I would dog-sit for them when they went on vacation.  I've been thinking a lot about the memories I have of those times: the day I got out of the shower and realized that Chief had stolen my bra (not sure what he was planning to use it for ...); the night he fell asleep with his head on my thigh and my whole leg fell asleep because his head was so heavy that I didn't move at all; Chief running to the door all "bark, bark, growl, growl" and then retreating to hide on the stairs with only his head peaking around the corner when someone answered; and oh so many more.  Like all the Boxers I know, Chief was just a big goof ball.  He might have been a little crotchety in his old age, but hey, we're all entitled to a little crotchetiness in our old age.

I don't know yet what it's like to have to say good-bye to a furry family member.  I didn't have pets growing up and our furry kids haven't reached that point yet.  I'm sure I'll just be a mess though since I was a mess when Maggie had her life-saving surgery a few years back.

I was talking to a co-worker about the situation today and he suggested that I Google "Rainbow Bridge."  So I did.  It's just awesome.  I don't know who wrote it, but I hope that it's true.  So, Aunt Carol, here's the answer to your question about dogs going to Heaven:

Rainbow Bridge
- Author Unknown

Just this side of Heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance.  His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers.  Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again.  The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together ...

I know I complain about my dogs, but they're like kids.  They might drive me crazy but at the end of the day I love them!





1 comment:

  1. Awe Alisha- you are just the very best!! you get it!!You know what it is to love a dog and more importantly to be loved unconditionally by that dog. I don't think humans know how to love unconditionally- not really. Mattie is pretty sad. She gets that something is wrong. I hope she gets through this- couldn't stand to lose them both! Thank you for your support today- I am such a freaken sap! Here's hoping tomorrow isn't as bad as today!

    ReplyDelete